Saturday, September 30, 2006

Pinnacles National Monument

Pinnacles National Monument
Sep 25, 2006 - 105 Photos
On Monday Gina was sweet enough to let me escape for the day. I decided to do a hike I've been curious about for years: Pinnacles National Monument. That morning I loaded up with water and food, and left the house at 7am to make a 9am trail start since the trails are listed as long and strenuous. I chose the steep route up to the high peaks, and although I'm out of shape it wasn't too hard so I hiked part way down the other side for a glimpse at the lookout along Condor Gulch. Hiking back up and then down again along another route, I followed the dry riverbed around to the caves. The gates were open (closed only during bat season during spring) so I turned on my flashlight and started in. It wasn't initially clear where the trail led -- it looked like a jumbled rock field in complete darkness. I finally found the hole and scrambled in, where it popped back out again after a short while. The final loop segment wasn't far way, and I was back on the road by 3pm.